I have been a Twitter user for less than a year but I have already come to rely on it as an important source of ideas, inspiration, and advice. I was skeptical at first. Why do I care "what you are doing?" I discovered, however, if you carefully build your network, most of the Tweets are useful and relevant.
Before I give my top ten twitter tweeps, let me give a couple of words of advice on building your personal learning network through twitter:
- Fill in your Twitter profile! Your profile provides the first impression of you. If there is none, then your first impression is as interesting as a white wall.
- Give Twitter at least 30 days before you give up on it! Building a network takes time. Twitter is only as useful as the people you follow.
- Contribute! the more you Tweet, the more people will find and follow you. Don't be a lurker-someone who observes, but never contributes.
- Don't be shy! If someone you follow posts a question, answer it if you can! The more you help others, the more likely they are to help you.
- Follow wisely. Useful Tweets are frequently hidden amongst useless Tweets. If you follow someone who posts a lot of uselessness, stop following them because they are capturing your very limited attention.
Fellow blogger Silvia Tolisano (@langwitches) has a great blog post about using Twitter to build a personal learning network. I highly recommend it!
My Top 10 Twitter Tweeps:
- @joelz (6th Grade teacher, Tuscon, Arizona)
- @drezac (Technology Instructor, Chicago)
- @chrislatkinson (4/5 Grade teacher and Tech Coordinator, Carmel, Indiana)
- @FishMath (College Math teacher, Portland, Maine)
- @laurenj85 (Pre-service teacher, California)
- @karlyb (5th Grade teacher, Southfield, Michigan)
- @newmindgroup (Web Entrepreneur, Kalamazoo, Michigan)
- @jdwilliams (5th grade math, science, reading teacher, Youngtown, Arizona)
- @nellsnatural (Web entrepreneur, my wife, Brighton, Michigan)
- @mhammons (Educational Technology Consultant, Fresno, California)
Want to begin following my top 10? I've created a list of my top 10 that you can follow with a single click.
I am always on the search for innovative and creative people to follow on Twitter. If you have recommendations, please leave a comment on this post. If you have published a list of your favorite Tweeps, leave a link for others to follow!