There are a LOT of configuration options within the admin console. The reality, however, is that there are only a few settings that are critical.
This post explores the "additional Google services" portion of the admin console. If you haven't done so, make sure you read my previous post on configuring the core G Suite apps.
Google has a LOT of tools and products that you can access through a Google Apps account. Here is the list of policies that you MUST review and adjust according to the policies of your district. Failing to do so can open you up to serious problems and issue down the road.
These settings can be found by logging into the admin console and click on Apps > Additional Google Services.
The Disable List
Here are the additional services that are not K-12 friendly that I recommend disabling for all users in your domain. You may have exceptions, however most school districts do not need access to any of the following:
- All DoubleClick products (5 of them) - these tools are for advertisers.
- Dart for Publishers - allows central advertisement management
- Google Adsense - Display advertisements on your website to make money
- Google Advertising Professionals - lets people earn an ad-words certification
- YouTube promoted videos - promote videos on YouTube
- Play Books Partner Center - sell your book via Google
- Google AdWords - purchase ads to promote your product
- Google Payments - use Google Wallet to buy things
- Google Play Developer Console
- Google Shopping
- Merchant Center
- Partner Dash
The Teachers Only List
The following tools can be left on for faculty, but should be turned off for students. This is only possible if you have seperate organizational units for staff and students configured for your domain.
- Google Voice
- Google+: it is imperative that you disable G+ for students. Failing to do so can result in student accounts being disabled because they do not meet the age requirement (13+ for Google+)
- Blogger - it is probably advisable that only faculty create blogs. Once created, access can be delegated to Students.
- Google Groups - enables users to join external Google Group
- YouTube - turning this service off does not restrict access to YouTube, it prevents students from creating a YouTube channel using their school account.
These tools should be turned off for everyone except the domain administrator or IT department. This can only be done if you have an IT / Admin organizational unit created.
- Google my Business - it is a good idea to create a Google Business profile for your school. This will ensure that the information you provide is available via Google Search and on Google Maps.
- Google Search Console
- Google Analytics
- Developers Console
Leave on for Everyone
These tools can be left on. The are unlikely to be used by large numbers of users, but can be helpful.
- Google Takeout - allows users to download a backup copy of their data (Drive, Gmail, Calendar, etc)
- Chrome Management
- Chrome Webstore
- Fusion Tables
- Google Bookmarks
- Google Books
- Chrome Sync
- Google Custom Search
- Google Finance
- Google in your Language
- Google Maps Maker
- Google Maps
- Google My Maps
- Google News
- Google Photos
- Google Public Data
- Google Search Console
- Google Translator Toolkit
- Individual Storage
- Location History
- Mobile Test Tools
- Google Trips
- Web & App Activity