The Electric Educator: How to Create a Matching Question in Google Forms

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

How to Create a Matching Question in Google Forms


You have probably used Google Forms to ask free response or multiple choice questions, but did you know that you can also create a matching question? 

Forms doesn't offer an obvious "matching" question type, but with a little creativity, you can make it work! 

The secret is to use the "grid" question type to set up a matching style question. 

Unfortunately the quiz feature available in Google Forms will not work with "grid" questions however you can use the Flubaroo add-on for Google Sheets to auto-grade quizzes with this type of question.

Tips:

  • Place your definitions in the row and use the columns for your terms. 
  • Enable "require a response for each row."
  • Make sure that you select the "limit to one response per column option" 
  • Enable "shuffle row order"
Watch this short video for some additional tips on creating a matching question with Google Forms.



This video is part of my online course "Google Forms for Educators." In this 5 week course I help educators use Google Forms to organize their classroom and create automated systems so that they can spend less time shuffling paper and more time connecting with students. Interested? Visit chrm.tech/forms for details!

Here's a live example of a matching question using Google Forms. 



The width of the embedded form is a bit too narrow to properly show all of the text. I recommend that you view the form here to get the full experience.

------------------------------------------------------

Are you ready to become a Form Fanatic?

Are you a Form Fanatic?Each spring I offer a 5 week Google Forms masterclass. Join me for a deep dive into Google Forms!

The feedback has been outstanding:
"I was a casual user of Forms, but I was not using the data that I had collected to it's full potential. Now I am writing better Forms so my data is of higher quality and I am better able to analyze the results so I'm making decisions based on data...not just giving surveys." - Laura Foreback, middle school teacher
This course is perfect for classroom teachers, tech coaches, and school administrators!

Interested? Visit Chrm.tech/forms for all the details!


3 comments:

  1. Great instructions and demo. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great explanation! I watched it with the sound turned off during class and was still able to figure out how to make a great test question.
    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Your video was easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for contributing to my blog. I enjoy being a part of the conversation and do my best to respond to comments and questions that are posted.