The Electric Educator: Award Nomination

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Award Nomination

My mentor teacher nominated me for the Michigan Science Teacher Association's "Teacher of Promise Award". I am very honored to by the nomination and grateful for the time that was spent on my behalf.

I spent a large part of this past week completing the application sent to me by the MSTA. It was long! In additional to listing my teaching experience, published work, conferences attended, and grants received, I had to write an essay on my teaching philosophy. While it was a lot of work, it forced me to reflect on what is important to me as a teacher. The two things that I came up with were hands on activities and technology. I love doing labs with my students and I love using technology to enhance learning. 

One of the reasons that I am excited about the Wiiboard technology is because it incorporates both of these things. Many teachers use projectors in their classrooms. The ability to interact with any projected image turns a regular screen into a multimedia tool. Now students can come up, point, click, circle, underline, and highlight elements that are being projected. The possibilities for use are tremendous! 

My application is now complete. I dropped it into the mailbox this afternoon. It's in the hands of the selection committee now. We'll see what happens! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing to my blog. I enjoy being a part of the conversation and do my best to respond to comments and questions that are posted.